'Cracking' TS files

Old October 23rd 17, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

Default 'Cracking' TS files

Right, thanks to recent guidance I've flashed the Fosxsat HDR with the
custome firmware and done some setting up.
Transferring a 2.66GB HD file took about 8 minutes (would have been about 2
hours as a d/l!).
Now, of course, I can't play it with anything and none of the software I
have will recognise it to convert it to any other format.
I thought I had some info on doing this but can't find it. Searching hasn't
helped, but that's most likely because I don't know how to phrase the
search. There were one or two hits but they were so technical that I
couldn't understand them.

Any ponters, please?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old October 23rd 17, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

PeterC wrote:
Right, thanks to recent guidance I've flashed the Fosxsat HDR with the
custome firmware and done some setting up.
Transferring a 2.66GB HD file took about 8 minutes (would have been about 2
hours as a d/l!).
Now, of course, I can't play it with anything and none of the software I
have will recognise it to convert it to any other format.
I thought I had some info on doing this but can't find it. Searching hasn't
helped, but that's most likely because I don't know how to phrase the
search. There were one or two hits but they were so technical that I
couldn't understand them.

Any ponters, please?

Have you set up the custom firmware to decode it first? Alternatively you
can select files and decode them individually for playing on external
devices.

VLC player should play most things.
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en-GB.html

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old October 23rd 17, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
PeterC wrote:
[...]

As far as I know, once an HD programme has been encrypted, there is no way
of decoding it.
The custom firmware you've installed is good for copying files, but there is
another firmware add-on that you need to install, that prevents HD
programmes from being encrypted in the firat place.
--
Dave W

Old October 23rd 17, 01:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Dave W" wrote in message
news
As far as I know, once an HD programme has been encrypted, there is no way
of decoding it.
The custom firmware you've installed is good for copying files, but there
is another firmware add-on that you need to install, that prevents HD
programmes from being encrypted in the firat place.

Where does the encryption (if any) occur? Are HD programmes broadcast and
recorded encrypted, with only authorised PVRs being able to decrypt then
stream as it is played back, or is it broadcast in clear and encrypted as it
is recorded and decrypted on playback?

I ask because I've never had problems recording programmes using my DVB-T2
USB device on my PC and playing them using various software (VLC, Windows
Media Centre, Windows Media Player, VideoRedo) which suggests that those
decoders pass on non-encrypted data to the recording software.

If that is the case, why would PVRs save the data in encrypted form?

Old October 23rd 17, 02:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 23/10/2017 13:30, NY wrote:
"Dave W" wrote in message
news
As far as I know, once an HD programme has been encrypted, there is no
way of decoding it.
The custom firmware you've installed is good for copying files, but
there is another firmware add-on that you need to install, that
prevents HD programmes from being encrypted in the firat place.

Where does the encryption (if any) occur? Are HD programmes broadcast
and recorded encrypted, with only authorised PVRs being able to decrypt
then stream as it is played back, or is it broadcast in clear and
encrypted as it is recorded and decrypted on playback?

Apart from the old Top Up TV/Setanta/BT Sport programmes (which required
a CAM adapter and card), all Freeview programmes are transmitted in the
clear. Most HD programmes have an 'enc' flag set which tells the
receiver that they don't want it to be easily copied. It's up to the
receiver what it does with this, if anything. It could encrypt the 'enc'
programmes and not the others. The Humax HDR-Fox T2 (PVR) encrypts them
all but decrypts the non-enc ones when copied to a USB stick plugged
into the front. Enc ones remain encrypted, which is what consumer
software like Foxy is designed to foil.

--
Max Demian
Old October 23rd 17, 03:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:30:51 +0100
"NY" wrote:

"Dave W" wrote in message
news
[...]

SD programmes are normally encrypted as they are recorded. They are
decrypted either by the Humax when they are copied to a USB stick, or
by the operator using the 'webif' interface of the CF. Navigating to a
programme in the Browse section, and right-clicking, brings up a menu,
of which Decrypt is one option. Transferring the resulting files using
FTP protocol (yes, I know that the 'P' stands for protocol already)
will copy a viewable set of files to your PC. VLC will always show them
if they are good.
Encrypted programmes can only be played back on the same motherboard as
was used when tehy were first recorded, so if you decrpyt any, delete
the originals and save the decrypted ones, just in case of a motherboard
failure.
HD programmes are also encrypted as they are recorded, but they have
flag, which, once set, is almost impossible to unset. This is what
'Foxy' was for. But the CF allows you to prevent the setting of the
flag, using the package 'auto-unprotect', which then allows decrypting
in the same manner as an SD recording.
As to why encryption is done in the first place, I have no idea!

Hope this helps,

--
Davey.
Old October 23rd 17, 05:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ChrisK

Davey wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:30:51 +0100
"NY" wrote:

"Dave W" wrote in message
news
[...]

The Fox*sat* does it the other way round. SD programmes are not
encrypted as stored. HD programmes are stored encrypted but there is a
patch to the main system application that prevents the encryption taking
place.

There is a lot of free software around to process the files. For SD I
use ProjectX to demultiplex the file and correct timing errors and
Cuttamaran to remove the unwanted bits. A bit of an effort to set up
but once set up it all works quite smoothly. This does not to any
recoding (other than open parts of the IFrame at the cut point) so is
quite fast and you end up with MPEG2 files that can be played with VLC
etc. Note Windows Media Player and other DirectX players can't play on
W10 without installing an MPEG2 codec as this was dropped after W7.

HD files are more of a problem as there are not really any free editors
to cut out the unwanted bits. Better to remultiplex to mkv (eg use
mkvtoolnix) to play them as a lot of players seem to choke on ts files.
Remultiplexing is quick without conversion.

Plenty of free format conversion tools around....

HTH

Chris K
Old October 23rd 17, 05:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"ChrisK" wrote in message
o.uk...
HD files are more of a problem as there are not really any free editors to
cut out the unwanted bits. Better to remultiplex to mkv (eg use
mkvtoolnix) to play them as a lot of players seem to choke on ts files.
Remultiplexing is quick without conversion.

VideoRedo can edit both MPEG (SD) and H264 (HD) files equally easily - it
can do MPG, WTV (Windows Media Centre), MP4 and TS file formats. The only
problem with HD is that they take more processing power to decode/recode
when viewing the recording to find the correct in and out points, so they
require a faster PC if you want the PC to be able to keep up as you scrub
through the file looking for advert breaks. The time take to join the bits
together (which requires a bit of local recoding around each join) is about
the same for both SD and HD, and the majority of the regeneration is
straight copying.

But as you say, it's not free.

Old October 23rd 17, 06:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:16:18 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

Most HD programmes have an 'enc' flag set which tells the
receiver that they don't want it to be easily copied.

It's only the BBC and Channel 4 family that do. ITV, Channel 5, RT and
Al Jaz don't.