Virgin Tivo - how many versions?

Old October 27th 17, 04:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

Default Virgin Tivo - how many versions?

Following on from streaming problems with iPlayer on our Samsung Tivo box,
it occurred to me to look and see if there was a newer version of the
hardware. Just in case the poor streaming was a hardware issue.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/set-top-boxes-and-apps.html shows a
TV V6 box powered by Tivo.

"Say hello to the Virgin TV V6 box, powered by TiVo® – our smallest,
smartest, fastest box yet."

Those words sound pretty good. Smarter and faster sounds like just what we
need.

I will ask what is involved in an upgrade (couched in terms of repeated
streaming failures).

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old October 29th 17, 01:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On 27 Oct 2017 15:02:20 GMT, David wrote:

Following on from streaming problems with iPlayer on our Samsung Tivo box,
it occurred to me to look and see if there was a newer version of the
hardware. Just in case the poor streaming was a hardware issue.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/set-top-boxes-and-apps.html shows a
TV V6 box powered by Tivo.

"Say hello to the Virgin TV V6 box, powered by TiVo our smallest,
smartest, fastest box yet."

Those words sound pretty good. Smarter and faster sounds like just what we
need.

I will ask what is involved in an upgrade (couched in terms of repeated
streaming failures).

I've had the V6 box for several months now. It is certainly a major
improvement on the previous model, particularly as regards speed. So
far I've had no faults or serious issues with it.
It has to be installed by a VM 'engineer', but that's a very quick and
simple process.
As to cost, the upgrade seems to be within zero and ISTR 60,
depending how hard you can argue with them.
Old October 29th 17, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Guest

wrote (apparently) in uk.tech.digital-tv on Sun 29 Oct 2017 13:49:26:

[Snipped...]

I've had the V6 box for several months now. It is certainly a major
improvement on the previous model, particularly as regards speed. So
far I've had no faults or serious issues with it.

Much quicker than my previous box, and the remote not needing to be in the
same room is an advantage to me too.

It has to be installed by a VM 'engineer', but that's a very quick and
simple process.

Self install here, very simple to do. Not sure who would have had the same
offer I received, e.g. if it depends which router you have (got a new one a
bit earlier this year).

As to cost, the upgrade seems to be within zero and ISTR 60,
depending how hard you can argue with them.

49 I think for mine, e-mails not to hand.
--
MrGuest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere
Old October 29th 17, 08:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 17:17:15 +0000, Mr Guest wrote:

wrote (apparently) in uk.tech.digital-tv on Sun 29 Oct 2017 13:49:26:

[Snipped...]

I've had the V6 box for several months now. It is certainly a major
improvement on the previous model, particularly as regards speed. So
far I've had no faults or serious issues with it.

Much quicker than my previous box, and the remote not needing to be in
the same room is an advantage to me too.

It has to be installed by a VM 'engineer', but that's a very quick and
simple process.

Self install here, very simple to do. Not sure who would have had the
same offer I received, e.g. if it depends which router you have (got a
new one a bit earlier this year).

As to cost, the upgrade seems to be within zero and ISTR £60, depending
how hard you can argue with them.

£49 I think for mine, e-mails not to hand.

Looked on the VM forum and they were saying a lot more for the install
plus an extra charge per month.

I am, assuming you are both paying the same monthly rental as before?

I am on the "fun" TV package not the "full house" if that makes any
difference.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old October 29th 17, 09:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Guest

David wrote (apparently) in uk.tech.digital-tv on Sun 29 Oct 2017 20:17:21:

Looked on the VM forum and they were saying a lot more for the install
plus an extra charge per month.

I am, assuming you are both paying the same monthly rental as before?

I am on the "fun" TV package not the "full house" if that makes any
difference.

Cheers

Dave R

Looking at recent bills it seems to have gone up by 2.12 a month, with a
2.19 extra charge when I changed over. It is the Full House package though.

Found an e-mail now and it was a special offer, not sure how or why I was
eligible.
Old October 30th 17, 11:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 21:58:06 +0000, Mr Guest wrote:

David wrote (apparently) in uk.tech.digital-tv on Sun 29 Oct 2017
20:17:21:

Looked on the VM forum and they were saying a lot more for the install
plus an extra charge per month.

I am, assuming you are both paying the same monthly rental as before?

I am on the "fun" TV package not the "full house" if that makes any
difference.

Cheers

Dave R

Looking at recent bills it seems to have gone up by £2.12 a month, with
a £2.19 extra charge when I changed over. It is the Full House package
though.

Found an e-mail now and it was a special offer, not sure how or why I
was eligible.

Better watch the bill 6 months down the line.

My current upgrade offers all include a £5 discount for customer loyalty
but only for 6 months.

---

Old October 30th 17, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On 30 Oct 2017 11:01:34 GMT, David wrote:

[...]

Disregard the advertised offers. They are just for people too lazy to
get on the phone and go the 'thinking of leaving' route.

I got the TiVo upgrade without a lump sum. The monthly rental did go
up a small amount. I'm not certain exactly how much because the price
seems to be increased so often anyway.

Interesting to hear they are sending out the V6 for customer install
now. That wasn't available when I got mine, but I didn't have to pay
for the visit.

Very satisfied with VM broadband - solid 200+ Mb download 24
hours/day.