Central speaker, Dolby and HDMI

Old October 31st 17, 03:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Default Central speaker, Dolby and HDMI

I am using an HDMI splitter for my Firestick. With it I can send the video to my plasma panel and the audio to my surround sound av kit.

I have a central speaker as a lot of dialogue goes there and it gets lost if one relies on the front left/right speakers.

I have a NEET HDMI switcher and it produdes sound from that central speaker - as well as those at the sides and through the sub woofer.

I have just bought a more expensive switcher from Amazon as it came with higher recommendations and looked a better build. For some reason it does not carry the signal for that central speaker.

Maybe there is something I can alter on the av kit. Both splitters were using the same HDMI port on the av machine. The Neet that works shows up as Dolby 11x Movie. The new device with no central speaker shows as Dolby Digital +. I have tried to force that setting to 11x Movie but with no success.

Any suggestions folk?

Tony
Old October 31st 17, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 15:07:01 UTC, TonyGamble wrote:
[...]

Dolby Pro Logic IIx is an older analogue system. It cleverly reconstructs 5.1 from a single stereo input, and in particular the centre dialogue channel from common signal on both channels.

OTOH Dolby Digital + is a digital system, with full high bit rate signal on up to 15 channels. If what you are getting has just two stereo channels (quite common on broadcast especially ITV) then that is what will come out.

Results on old Pro Logic systems were surprisingly good e.g. from stereo film tracks.

See if you can set your amp to treat the two channels from the new switch as analog, or just change mode to film, sport, music or whatever and let the amp sort it out.

What I do is use the TV's optical audio out to feed the AV amp - works a treat whatever the input was.
Old October 31st 17, 04:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 3:44:32 PM UTC, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

See if you can set your amp to treat the two channels from the new switch as analog, or just change mode to film, sport, music or whatever and let the amp sort it out.

Thanks Mark.

I'll do some more reading in the amp manual.

Tony
Old October 31st 17, 06:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

I'll do some more reading in the amp manual.

I can't find any alterations in the HDMI settings to get it to work.

I have made the Firestick output with no Dolby Digital + but that still does get me back my centre speaker.

I'm going back to my original Neet splitter as it works and it "ain't broke"

But the wisdom of the gurus is eagerly awaited.

Tony

Old October 31st 17, 06:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

TonyGamble wrote:

I am using an HDMI splitter for my Firestick. With it I can send the
video to my plasma panel and the audio to my surround sound av kit.

Does AV amp have HDMI out, or just in?

Old October 31st 17, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Does AV amp have HDMI out, or just in?

Yes, Andy.

It is a Yamaha RX-V567 if you could be bothered to look at the online manual.

Why the out?

Tony

Old October 31st 17, 07:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

TonyGamble wrote:

Does AV amp have HDMI out, or just in?

Yes, Andy.
It is a Yamaha RX-V567 if you could be bothered to look at the online manual.
Why the out?

It would let you avoid the splitter, feed the firestick into one of the
hdmi1-4 inputs of the amp, feed the plasma from the hdmi-out of the amp,
and speakers from the amp ...

Old October 31st 17, 07:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 7:15:34 PM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
TonyGamble wrote:

Does AV amp have HDMI out, or just in?

Yes, Andy.
It is a Yamaha RX-V567 if you could be bothered to look at the online manual.
Why the out?

It would let you avoid the splitter, feed the firestick into one of the
hdmi1-4 inputs of the amp, feed the plasma from the hdmi-out of the amp,
and speakers from the amp ...

What a brilliant idea.

I seem to remember there are some settings about HDMI out in the manual - but I can look at those.

I'll probably leave testing until tomorrow as the back of the amp needs a bit of daylight as some of the cabling is a bit tight.

But worth a try.

Tony
Old October 31st 17, 07:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

TonyGamble wrote:

I'll probably leave testing until tomorrow as the back of the amp
needs a bit of daylight as some of the cabling is a bit tight.

If the screen and amp both have CEC enabled it'll probably allow you to
control the amp volume with the screen's remote etc, and the screen to
automatically select the relevant hdmi input when the amp is turned on etc.

Old October 31st 17, 08:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 7:36:48 PM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
TonyGamble wrote:

I'll probably leave testing until tomorrow as the back of the amp
needs a bit of daylight as some of the cabling is a bit tight.

If the screen and amp both have CEC enabled it'll probably allow you to
control the amp volume with the screen's remote etc, and the screen to
automatically select the relevant hdmi input when the amp is turned on etc.

I'm going to have to personally disconnect my Humax and replace it with the Firestick feed as the HDMI cable to the plasma is quite long and heavy - And visible to domestic management - so I need to stay with one cable and an end in my av cabinet to which I connect the H or the F. No great trouble as management only ever watches the Humax feed and I'm the one to offer YouTube as an antidote to BBC catchup.

Tony