High pressure and Freeview

Old November 2nd 17, 08:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default High pressure and Freeview

I noticed over the last few days, that vhf and uhf signals on my scanner are
showing all the signs of tropo effects, ie well over the radio horizon
reception as is often the case this time of year with temperature inversions
common.
However last night on the radio they put out a message from Freeview saying
that the atmospherics had been causing lots of break up and badly pixelated
TV.
Well, there you go, so much for trying to squash it all into fewer and
fewer channels. Unfortunately though any attempt to do DX reception on my
freeview box by retuning just gave me messed up channels but nothing much
from anywhere exotic.
Well noting exotic at all.

So I was wondering, Do UK digital boxes and tvs use the same system as
nearby Europe do or is there some kind of flag set to stop people picking up
foreign stations under such conditions?

Old November 2nd 17, 08:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

news

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/fra...ome/digital-tv

Old November 2nd 17, 03:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

However last night on the radio they put out a message from Freeview saying
that the atmospherics had been causing lots of break up and badly pixelated
TV.

I am interested to know which radio station carried that announcement,
and was it in the context of a news item, weather forecast, or other
feature?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old November 2nd 17, 07:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 02/11/2017 15:28, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 02 Nov 2017 15:00:00 +0000, Graham. wrote:

However last night on the radio they put out a message from Freeview saying
that the atmospherics had been causing lots of break up and badly pixelated
TV.

I am interested to know which radio station carried that announcement,
and was it in the context of a news item, weather forecast, or other
feature?

BBC?
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41836518

I like the aerial collection.

--
Max Demian
Old November 2nd 17, 10:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Max
Demian scribeth thus
On 02/11/2017 15:28, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 02 Nov 2017 15:00:00 +0000, Graham. wrote:

However last night on the radio they put out a message from Freeview saying
that the atmospherics had been causing lots of break up and badly pixelated
TV.

I am interested to know which radio station carried that announcement,
and was it in the context of a news item, weather forecast, or other
feature?

BBC?
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41836518

I like the aerial collection.

Here you go see it here

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_eur.html
--
Tony Sayer

Old November 4th 17, 11:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gregory

I think European countries use, or mostly use a channel spacing of 7MHz
and different frequencies for their DVB-T transmissions while we use
8MHz spacing.

So you'd need to tell your Freeview TV you were in a country where such
a system is used before scanning for DVB-T DX.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old November 5th 17, 12:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ulrich Onken[_3_]

On 05.11.2017 00:57, Brian Gregory wrote:
I think European countries use, or mostly use a channel spacing of 7MHz
and different frequencies for their DVB-T transmissions while we use
8MHz spacing.

No. An 8 MHz channel spacing with the same channels 21-69 (in future
just 21-48) has been and is used all over Europe, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televi...el_frequencies and the
footnotes on digital television (DVB-T).

On the continent, there used to be a 7 MHz channel spacing on VHF only.
These 7 MHz channels were still retained after Digital Switch-Over, but
most countries have now phased out VHF television in favour of DAB.

Regards,
Uli
Old November 5th 17, 07:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/11/2017 23:57, Brian Gregory wrote:
I think European countries use, or mostly use a channel spacing of 7MHz
and different frequencies for their DVB-T transmissions while we use
8MHz spacing.

I think you ought to do a quick bit of research before posting...