W7 Media Centre - does it still do anything? Netflix?

Old November 6th 17, 08:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.homebuilt
David[_14_]

Default W7 Media Centre - does it still do anything? Netflix?

I started off trying to find out how to view Netflix on a Raspberry Pi,
which seems overly complicated until the next release of Kodi.

So I thought I would try on a PC.

First search results for Windows 7 said to use Media Centre. I followed
the instructions but not much happened. I then tried the Microsoft
download link but it wasn't there any more.

Looking at the Netflix site for the answer it just says to use one of the
web browsers.

So, given that I don't have a tuner card in this PC, is Media Centre good
for anything?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old November 7th 17, 12:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.homebuilt
NY

"David" wrote in message
So, given that I don't have a tuner card in this PC, is Media Centre good
for anything?

It can play recordings that it has made, in its own format (DVR-MS for
Vista, WTV for Win 7). But those could have been recorded elsewhere and
transferred to the player PC by email/web download. I don't think as a
player it has any advantages over Windows Media *Player* or VLC.

The strengths of WMC are mainly (for me) in the recording rather than
playing. Until I switched a few months ago (*) to using NextPVR for
recording (it can make multiple overlapping recordings as long as they are
all on the same multiplex) I used to record using WMC but mostly play back
using VLC because it can play at faster than real time - useful for some
documentaries and dramas if they are a bit "slow".

I also use VideoReDo to edit out continuity announcers, trailers, adverts
and other such non-programme rubbish.

(*) Triggered partly by the fact that WMC doesn't seem to get its listings
by web source any more, only by off-air listings, so you only get listings
up to 7 days ahead instead of about 10-14 days ahead as they did previously.
I imagine MS stopped paying licence fees to the third-party listing
supplier... About the only thing I miss that WMC could do and NextPVR can't
is to schedule a speculative recording "record anything with a title that
matches X even though nothing is listed at present".

Old November 7th 17, 04:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

I found it more reliable and easier to use with Freeview than the other
packages I tried with Windows 7.

On 07/11/2017 14:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
Did it ever have any real function other than to confuse the user?

Robin