sky fitters and roofs

Old November 20th 17, 01:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default sky fitters and roofs

Neighbour has had a dish on chimney for years, and pays the sky tax, he
asked about sky Q the other day, it sounded like the features would suit
them, so today a sky van appeared outside their house, I knew it'd need
a new wideband LNB, and assumed they'd just swap it, or maybe replace
the whole dish for good measure.

Just poked my head out for a look and he's added a new dish on the
gable-end (pair of brackets, smaller than T&K, cranked out, then up,
then over, peeping over the roof) rather than bother with the old dish,
which is left abandoned on the chimney.

No doubt lots of sucking of teeth and elf'n'safety excuses.
So, why /does/ he have a roof ladder on his van?
Old November 20th 17, 03:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

No doubt lots of sucking of teeth and elf'n'safety excuses.
So, why /does/ he have a roof ladder on his van?

I had a new Sky Q dish installed on my chimney by a single Sky
installer last year, so they are allowed to do it. He was unhappy two
people were not allocated to the job, but agreed with his supervisor he
could do it alone. And installed a six outlet LNB.

But he did use a lot of safety equipment. People joke about going on
courses to learn to climb a ladder, but he had a climbing harness and
ropes and attached a ring to the wall to tie off the ladder securely.
No other solo installers that have visited the same chimney ever did
that.

Angus

Old November 20th 17, 04:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 20 November 2017 14:13:31 UTC, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
No doubt lots of sucking of teeth and elf'n'safety excuses.
So, why /does/ he have a roof ladder on his van?

I had a new Sky Q dish installed on my chimney by a single Sky
installer last year, so they are allowed to do it. He was unhappy two
people were not allocated to the job, but agreed with his supervisor he
could do it alone. And installed a six outlet LNB.

But he did use a lot of safety equipment. People joke about going on
courses to learn to climb a ladder, but he had a climbing harness and
ropes and attached a ring to the wall to tie off the ladder securely.
No other solo installers that have visited the same chimney ever did
that.

Angus

$ky engineers do go high on ladders, but strap them to the wall and IIRC use a safety harness while fitting the actual dish.
Old November 20th 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 20/11/17 14:13, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
No other solo installers that have visited the same chimney ever did
that

I think that is because of the Health and Safety, Small Contractor,
Small Client Un-regulations (although I can't find them on
legislation.gov.uk :-)):

1) Except as noted in clause 2, no health and safety regulation shall
apply to a small contractor when working for a small business or
domestic client.

2) In the case that there is a death or serious injury, and
notwithstanding the previous operation of clause (1), all health and
safety legislation shall have full, and retrospective, effect.
Old November 20th 17, 04:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 20/11/17 13:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Just poked my head out for a look and he's added a new dish on the
gable-end (pair of brackets, smaller than T&K, cranked out, then up,
then over, peeping over the roof) rather than bother with the old dish,
which is left abandoned on the chimney.

They can only do this once, as they have now reached the limit of
permitted developments for planning purposes.
Old November 20th 17, 05:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Angus Robertson wrote:

People joke about going on courses to learn to climb a ladder, but he
had a climbing harness and ropes and attached a ring to the wall to
tie off the ladder securely.

He did have a hard hat, goggles and climbing harness, but I've no idea
where he fastened it to, you can see the brick dust where he drilled the
brackets, so I would expect to see more dust if he'd drilled a ring to
secure his ladder (always a good idea) but I can't, maybe it's lower
down than I looked.

Old November 20th 17, 08:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/11/2017 13:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Neighbour has had a dish on chimney for years, and pays the sky tax, he
asked about sky Q the other day, it sounded like the features would suit
them, so today a sky van appeared outside their house, I knew it'd need
a new wideband LNB, and assumed they'd just swap it, or maybe replace
the whole dish for good measure.

Just poked my head out for a look and he's added a new dish on the
gable-end (pair of brackets, smaller than T&K, cranked out, then up,
then over, peeping over the roof) rather than bother with the old dish,
which is left abandoned on the chimney.

No doubt lots of sucking of teeth and elf'n'safety excuses.
So, why /does/ he have a roof ladder on his van?

Some of them are allowed to go on roofs, but it's a palaver. I've never
met a Sky installer with any technical knowledge by the way.

Old November 20th 17, 08:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/11/2017 14:13, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:

But he did use a lot of safety equipment. People joke about going on
courses to learn to climb a ladder, but he had a climbing harness and
ropes and attached a ring to the wall to tie off the ladder securely.
No other solo installers that have visited the same chimney ever did
that.

A realistic H & S assessment often concludes that employing the more
extreme safety measures carries a larger risk that not bothering.

Old November 20th 17, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/11/2017 17:29, Andy Burns wrote:
Angus Robertson wrote:

People joke about going on courses to learn to climb a ladder, but he
had a climbing harness and ropes and attached a ring to the wall to
tie off the ladder securely.

He did have a hard hat,

You need that on a roof because of the frozen turds that come from the
planes.

goggles

So you can't see what you're doing when they steam up. A real H & S
hazard on a roof.

and climbing harness,

Dangerous things on a roof ladder. Very dangerous.

where he fastened it to, you can see the brick dust where he drilled the
brackets, so I would expect to see more dust if he'd drilled a ring to
secure his ladder (always a good idea)

Anyone used to ladder work will never allow the ladder to get anywhere
near falling sideways or backwards. You'd no more do that than
spontaneously fall over when you're walking along the street. The people
who make these rules have no practical experience.