My5 awful to use

Old November 21st 17, 12:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

Default My5 awful to use

We missed an episode of a series on Channel 5 so last night tried to use the "catch up" service called My5. It was just awful.

It took a lot of hassle to get it started at all (accepting 3rd party cookies, disabling ad-blocking, etc).

When we paused and resumed a couple of times it insisted on starting at the beginning of the programme again. Each time it started with a set of 5 adverts that could not be skipped so we've seen them all several times. Worst of all there were adverts in the middle of the action, in two cases actually interrupting a presenter in the middle of her sentence, who then completed the sentence at the end of the adverts. In the end we gave up. No programme is worth all that bother.

The various Television Acts used to regulate the placing of ad breaks so that they had to be at a natural break in the programme. Perhaps these have been replaced by less restrictive rules, or maybe they don't apply at all to on-line viewing. Does anyone know?

So - has anyone else used My5? If so it is always as bad as that, or is there any way of watching a programme with fewer interruptions.

--
Clive Page
Old November 21st 17, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Its rubbish has got AD apparently but nobody I know knows how to make it
work. Most blind people cannot use it due to having to turn off adblockers
and although the basic site has been designed accessible all the ads are not
mucking up the designers work completely. Shambles and stupidity come to
mind. Its no wonder so many of us have started to approach hackers to get
access to stuff online these days.
Bah humbug.

Old November 21st 17, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Clive Page
wrote:

When we paused and resumed a couple of times it insisted on starting at
the beginning of the programme again. Each time it started with a set
of 5 adverts that could not be skipped so we've seen them all several
times. Worst of all there were adverts in the middle of the action, in
two cases actually interrupting a presenter in the middle of her
sentence, who then completed the sentence at the end of the adverts. In
the end we gave up. No programme is worth all that bother.

Some years ago I tried the Channel 4 net 'player' and got much the same
malarky. As a result I've never bothered with it again. And tend to assume
that the bulk of the commercial channels will be similar PITA exercises.

Old November 21st 17, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

These people who run things like iTV Hub etc, seem to forget that as some of
their contaent can be purchased now people might actually be going away and
losing them money due to the inadaquacy of their web sites. its no good
creating a reasonable site then infesting it with so much clutter that
nobody wants to press on and use it for what it was meant for.
Ch4 is not so bad the last time I testeed it as they got their knuckles
wrapped for not having the AD easy to access. I have managed to play a
couple of shows with that on the site, but it still feels like I'm working
too hard when it should be easy. Sadly even the bbc has started thsi stupid
as a person who watched x we think you will enjoy y stuff these days. What
is the matter with these people. Have they just got too much time on their
hands so they invent things nobody wants?

On 2017-11-21, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , Clive Page
wrote:

When we paused and resumed a couple of times it insisted on starting at
the beginning of the programme again. Each time it started with a set
of 5 adverts that could not be skipped so we've seen them all several
times. Worst of all there were adverts in the middle of the action, in
two cases actually interrupting a presenter in the middle of her
sentence, who then completed the sentence at the end of the adverts. In
the end we gave up. No programme is worth all that bother.

Some years ago I tried the Channel 4 net 'player' and got much the same
malarky. As a result I've never bothered with it again.

+1

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 33rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183

Old November 21st 17, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 21/11/17 12:06, Clive Page wrote:
We missed an episode of a series on Channel 5 so last night tried to use
the "catch up" service called My5.* It was just awful.

It took a lot of hassle to get it started at all (accepting 3rd party
cookies, disabling ad-blocking, etc).

When we paused and resumed a couple of times it insisted on starting at
the beginning of the programme again.* Each time it started with a set
of 5 adverts that could not be skipped so we've seen them all several
times.* Worst of all there were adverts in the middle of the action, in
two cases actually interrupting a presenter in the middle of her
sentence, who then completed the sentence at the end of the adverts.* In
the end we gave up.* No programme is worth all that bother.

4oD, My5, Dave and the BBC iPlayer work perfectly on YouView, NowTV and
various other streaming boxes and variants of mobile phones and tablets,
all which can be connected to proper size television screens.

The weak link is doing it on a computer operating system, all of them.

A basic disk-less BT/TalkTalk YouView thingy can be found on eBay for
about £20, or for peanuts at a car boot sale.

--
Adrian C
Old November 21st 17, 07:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

On 2017-11-21, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , Clive Page
wrote:

When we paused and resumed a couple of times it insisted on starting at
the beginning of the programme again. Each time it started with a set
of 5 adverts that could not be skipped so we've seen them all several
times. Worst of all there were adverts in the middle of the action, in
two cases actually interrupting a presenter in the middle of her
sentence, who then completed the sentence at the end of the adverts. In
the end we gave up. No programme is worth all that bother.

Some years ago I tried the Channel 4 net 'player' and got much the same
malarky. As a result I've never bothered with it again.

+1

and yet it's the future of broadcasting that we will all be using for 99% of
our TV viewing in 5 years time

tim

Old November 21st 17, 08:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 18:14:03 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

These people who run things like iTV Hub etc, seem to forget that as
some of their contaent can be purchased now people might actually be
going away and losing them money due to the inadaquacy of their web
sites. its no good creating a reasonable site then infesting it with so
much clutter that nobody wants to press on and use it for what it was
meant for.
Ch4 is not so bad the last time I testeed it as they got their knuckles
wrapped for not having the AD easy to access. I have managed to play a
couple of shows with that on the site, but it still feels like I'm
working too hard when it should be easy. Sadly even the bbc has started
thsi stupid as a person who watched x we think you will enjoy y stuff
these days. What is the matter with these people. Have they just got too
much time on their hands so they invent things nobody wants?
Brian

In-****ing-credible!! When will any of you realise that the owners of
commercial broadcast operations are motivated solely by sheer crass
commercial gain no matter whom it may exploit (although clearly aimed at
the great unwashed chattering masses) and whose customers are the
advertising agencies and other scum who practice the art of lying by
omission where you, the viewing (or listening) public, are the 'product'
being sold to those customers?

Those "Catch Up" websites are merely another revenue stream as far as
all those commercial broadcasters are concerned. Once you've sampled just
one of these internet "Catch Up" services, your sample will be 'as good
as it gets' (like ocean waves, once you've seen one, you've seen them
all).

There was a time a year or two back when I'd catch the missus watching a
CH5 afternoon movie classic almost every time I popped down to the
'engine room' (the kitchen dining room) to brew a mug of tea (properly,
using a teapot and all) during which process, I could guarantee I'd see
just enough of a movie classic to wet my interest before it inevitably
cut to the advert break.

Having just made my mug of tea, rather than hang around to watch the
rest of the movie, I'd return to my 'office' and torrent download said
classic movie, typically in less time than an afternoon CH5 advert break
which let me watch it right through from start to finish without
interruption from advert breaks, sometimes to the extent that I could
return to the kitchen for another brew before the same movie had finished
airing on CH5.

This set me pondering not just the apparent pointlessness of the whole
CH5 franchise but that of all the other commercial broadcasters,
including "Dave" with its execrable pre-recorded continuity segments
vandalising what little content of merit they had to offer (Red Dwarf and
their very own home grown "Zapped" series).

I have long been aware of the truism, "When you're watching (or
listening to) a commercial broadcast, remember that their customers are
the advertisers and *you* are the product!" but the CH5 example really
brought home the fact that, from a viewing point of view, every
commercial TV station is a total waste of space (bandwidth). No matter
how good the quality of the "programme", at the end of the day, it is
simply "The Bait", liberally laced with the "poison" of advert breaks.

If you're really desperate to "catch up" with a missed episode, going to
a commercial station's catchup web site is the last place you want to go.
Your first resort should always be EZTV followed by a duckduckgo search
on the programme name with "torrent" appended to look for a torrent file
or "Magnet link" to feed to your torrent client, preferably a torrent
client running as a service on a NAS box if you have one (neatly avoids
tying up your desktop PC with the job).

Only in the unlikely failure to find a suitable torrent download do you
finally gird up your loins to face that advertfest known as "The Catchup
Service" of the commercial broadcaster concerned who simply sees such a
resource as an excuse to put their advertising on steroids to exploit
their 'loyal' product to within an inch of its life.

Quite frankly, I've no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who's first port
of call is the commercial broadcaster's Catch Up service. Anyone who is
so stupid as to go to such sites before exhausting a torrent search for
the missing episode, deserves all they get imho.

--
Johnny B Good
Old November 22nd 17, 04:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/11/2017 19:42, tim... wrote:

Some years ago I tried the Channel 4 net 'player' and got much the same
malarky. As a result I've never bothered with it again.

+1

and yet it's the future of broadcasting that we will all be using for
99% of our TV viewing in 5 years time

Openreach has got a lot of work to do round here then.

Old November 22nd 17, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The problem with the torrents is that you are extremely unlikely to find a
program on there with AD in it, so as the catch up services normally offer
this they are the only answer at present. However increasingly you can find
privately made AD tracks that can be synchronised with a movie assuming the
movie is the version the AD was made, ie uncut, with.
Sadly the adverts on the web sites are the major issue on catch up tv
sites. We blindies run adlockers not because we do not want ads, but because
the ads often have not been tested to see what they do to otherwise
accessible web content on our machines. So being asked to turn ad block off
is almost saying, go away we don't want you blindies here.
Its interesting as if you pay these catch up services money you can get a
version of the shows with AD and no adverts. Sadly since you cannot actually
do much on the site with the adverts disabled you cannot make advantage of
the paid for service either. The bottom line is I suspect they just do not
understand or care about the minority market of the disabled when it comes
to making money from adverts and the general public who tolerate being
walked on.

Old November 22nd 17, 09:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I think his point is that the general attitude of the catch up service web
sites actually encourages this. How can you be a thief if you are watching
the same film as has been on free to air TV?

On 2017-11-21, Johnny B Good wrote:

[37 lines snipped]

Having just made my mug of tea, rather than hang around to watch the
rest of the movie, I'd return to my 'office' and torrent download said
classic movie,

So you're a thief as well as a windbag?

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 33rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183