When they show old stuff...

Old December 5th 17, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default When they show old stuff...

Does anyone even bother to listen to the sound track to see if you can
actually understand it?
An old episode of Colombo and one of the Avengers I encountered recently
suggest that they do not. In the case of Colombo there seemed to be a kind
of buzzing on the sound, while on the Avengers it sounded like some
aggressive form of noise gate was being used that took away almost
everything low level and some of the speech as well.
I think I'd rather have heard the background noise.
I have a bit of theory that there are no so few actual tlecine machines
around that the ones that are used are just buggered and nobody cares. I
assume that the content is digitised at this time, but it would be nice if
they did it like they did with T Star Trek for example where they cleaned
the audio up and made it sound reasonable.