Why do people buy 2nd hand Sky boxes?

Old August 23rd 10, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Mc[_3_]

Default Why do people buy 2nd hand Sky boxes?

J G Miller wrote:
: The thing is though, you could buy an FTA HD receiver and also receive
: these HD stations for free as well as many others which are not on the
: $ky EPG and so are deliberately non-user friendly to tune in via
: $ky's Other Channels.

That's just not true without a multi-satellite installation which very few
Sky (or even Freesat) viewers have! There is nothing to be had at 28.2E which
Sky boxes won't receive. Freesat STBs are pretty much as restricted as Sky
ones.

Even WITH a FTA receiver there isn't that much in English on any satellite.
Old August 23rd 10, 09:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Aug 23, 9:40*am, (Brian Mc) wrote:
J G Miller wrote:

That's just not true without a multi-satellite installation which very few
Sky (or even Freesat) viewers have! There is nothing to be had at 28.2E which
Sky boxes won't receive. Freesat STBs are pretty much as restricted as Sky
ones.

It's important to remember that access to non-Freesat channels is much
easier on some Freesat boxes than it is on a Sky box. I don't know if
this is still the case, but at one time a Sky box's 'other channels'
list would routinely disappear overnight if the box was left in
standby.

Old August 23rd 10, 06:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gregory [UK]

I've heard pretty much everything and anything you can set has been known to
disappear from sky boxes overnight.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old August 23rd 10, 06:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Brian Mc" wrote in message
J G Miller wrote:
: The thing is though, you could buy an FTA HD receiver and also receive
: these HD stations for free as well as many others which are not on the
: $ky EPG and so are deliberately non-user friendly to tune in via
: $ky's Other Channels.

That's just not true without a multi-satellite installation which very few
Sky (or even Freesat) viewers have! There is nothing to be had at 28.2E
which
Sky boxes won't receive. Freesat STBs are pretty much as restricted as Sky
ones.

Even WITH a FTA receiver there isn't that much in English on any
satellite.

I thought the Feesat channels were all FTA. Perhaps you mean there isn't
that much extra available in English.

You can get a Freesat+ box that doesn't need a subscription. AFAIK Sky+
always needs a subscription.

Old August 23rd 10, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_3_]

"John" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:08:56 +0100, Lucky13
wrote:

I've had a Sky+ HD box passed on to me and I was wondering why people
buy them on eBay?

critcher said ...............................
for the hard drive, ide will be extinct before long and the drives are good
value if you can get a 160 or 250 gig sky+ for a few pounds. ide will be in
demand for a while.

Old August 23rd 10, 07:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

On Monday, August 23rd, 2010 at 19:44:42h +0100, Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:

I thought the Feesat channels were all FTA.

That is correct, although the Freesat people have had this bizarre
idea of extending the Freesat EPG to include subscription services.

But not all FTA stations (from Eurobird 1 / Astra 2)
are on the Freesat EPG.

Perhaps you mean there isn't that much extra available in English.

Time to learn German then?
Old August 24th 10, 12:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

Op Maandag, 23 augustus, 2010, 23:48:11u +0200, Martin van Nederlands schreef:

or one of the languages used by French TV5 to subtitle their programmes.
For some reason English isn't one of them.

What languages do they offer?

Strangely, France Vingt-Quatre is still available in English even
though Sarkozy threatened to pull the plug.

Old August 24th 10, 12:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember J G Miller saying
something like:

Strangely, France Vingt-Quatre is still available in English even
though Sarkozy threatened to pull the plug.

Odd studio lighting in their newsroom - makes everyone look like manic
mannikins.