How are you Fire TV folk going to see your YouTube from 01.01.18

Old December 8th 17, 02:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Default How are you Fire TV folk going to see your YouTube from 01.01.18

The YouTube app on the Amazon Fire TV is not going to work after the end of this year.

What do the folk who use it around here plan to do?

Does one load a third party app on the Fire TV or bin it and buy something like a Roku?

When I did my research a couple of months ago the spec of the new Fire TV was better than that of the Roku - but without YouTube I guess I'll rarely use it.

Tony
Old December 8th 17, 03:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The spat is obviously going to be solved sooner or later. I guess Amazonand
google might get real and Amazon could sell android stuff in their stores
and all I'm sure would be fine again.as you say some third party will
probably find a way around it. its not just the stick its the tablets as
well.
When you think that Amzons Operating system is mostly Android this all
seems a little petty to me.
Seeing as you cannot watch youtube on an echo dot, I doubt it will affect
me. One assumes that if one puts on an amazon tablet the app that lets you
install android apps that will be screwed too will it?

Bout time all these people realised the world is round .

Old December 8th 17, 04:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 8 December 2017 15:52:10 UTC, TonyGamble wrote:
The YouTube app on the Amazon Fire TV is not going to work after the end of this year.

What do the folk who use it around here plan to do?

Does one load a third party app on the Fire TV or bin it and buy something like a Roku?

When I did my research a couple of months ago the spec of the new Fire TV was better than that of the Roku - but without YouTube I guess I'll rarely use it.

Tony

Years ago I received an Amazon Kindle fire as a gift. Nice bit of kit, Android but you can't download app's from the Google playstore which is PITA.

Anyway until it is resolved - buy neither.
Old December 8th 17, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 07:52:09 -0800 (PST), TonyGamble
wrote:

The YouTube app on the Amazon Fire TV is not going to work after the end of this year.

What do the folk who use it around here plan to do?

Does one load a third party app on the Fire TV or bin it and buy something like a Roku?

When I did my research a couple of months ago the spec of the new Fire TV was better than that of the Roku - but without YouTube I guess I'll rarely use it.

Tony

This move is going to **** off so many people it's hard to believe it
will last very long before some sort of solution is found. Either
Amazon and Google will settle their differences and put everything
back to normal, or somebody will find a workaround. Perhaps it will be
possible to sideload another app on Amazon's box, or change a proxy
setting or some other bodge. In the first instance my "workaround"
will be to stoke up the still attached but otherwise redundant Windows
PC I used before I got the Amazon box and reinstate the mouse on my
coffee table. This will work, but if the extra nuisance (and power
consumption) annoys me for long enough, I see that there are plenty of
other Android boxes that look similar to the Amazon one, and some of
them are actually cheaper. We'll see how it goes. I'm not worried.

Old December 9th 17, 07:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Doesn't Kodi work ?

It does. I gave it a try whilst I awaited some comments here.

Use the 32 bit for the new Fire TV which is 64 bit in the sales pitch but only has 32 bit Android.

It took the YouTube app. What I did not expect was to find how much cruder the GUI of that app is compared to the version on the Amazon Fire. It is far less user friendly when it comes to navigating genre favorites.

I cannot comment, yet, on how well it performs in terms of buffering as I have not had time to test. It was certainly slower when it loaded the browser pages but that could have been because it was a new installation.

I will report back.

Tony
Old December 9th 17, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 00:48:33 -0800 (PST), TonyGamble
wrote:

Doesn't Kodi work ?

It does. I gave it a try whilst I awaited some comments here.

Use the 32 bit for the new Fire TV which is 64 bit in the sales pitch but only has 32 bit Android.

[...]

If you mean the new "diamond-shaped" Fire TV box with the wires at the
corners, then that's another step backwards, to add to the fact that
it has no ethernet port or memory card slot.

I have what I think is the second incarnation of this device, which
has both of the above features, and works very well and is easy to
use. I like it, but if I end up replacing it on account of Youtube
being disabled, then I won't be replacing it with another Amazon box.

Until recently I had one of the older versions of their 10" tablet
(but I sold it because it was frustratingly slow), and had the extra
nuisance of having to obtain both versions of Kodi, 64bit for the Fire
TV box and 32bit for the tablet. I wonder what the new tablet uses?
They're definitely making progress backwards if they're installing
32bit software on anything.

Old December 9th 17, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

I have what I think is the second incarnation of this device, which
has both of the above features, and works very well and is easy to
use. I like it, but if I end up replacing it on account of Youtube
being disabled, then I won't be replacing it with another Amazon box.

What will you get then, Rod?

Tony

Old December 9th 17, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

wrote:

The YouTube app on the Amazon Fire TV is not going to work after the end of this year.

What do the folk who use it around here plan to do?

Good question and my answer at the moment is "don't know".

Does one load a third party app on the Fire TV or bin it and buy something like a Roku?

When I did my research a couple of months ago the spec of the new Fire TV was better than that of the Roku - but without YouTube I guess I'll rarely use it.

Tony

You can sideload apps using ES File Explorer but whether this will work
for youTube I don't know. But if it does become possible there will be
loads of info on the internet telling us how to do it.

So personally I am going to sit back and wait to see what unfolds.

Old December 9th 17, 01:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Tony

You can sideload apps using ES File Explorer but whether this will work
for youTube I don't know. But if it does become possible there will be
loads of info on the internet telling us how to do it.

Thanks Yellow,

If you look at my posting at 8.48 am you'll see I did it.

Tony