Amazon malfunction in prime?...

Old December 8th 17, 04:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Amazon malfunction in prime?...

In other words. I've not been near their site for nearly a week this morning
two emails come through and I've been given a gift for Christmas. A free
month of prime. I don't want Prime I never asked for it.
So being the careful person I am I did not click the link in the offending
emails, I went to my bookmark in firefox. Sure as they said I have been
enrolled. So why?
Seems totally random, but the other email was from the Echo system telling
me of some new skills etc, but I've not actually done anything so what is
going on.
I have now cancelled it but its bloody hard work, you just don't get are
you sure, oh no its perhaps you would like the Prime fresh on its own, or
prime video on its own are you sure, yes I'm bloody sure here are the
benefits you will lose. NO **** off I don't want em never used em and no you
cannot take nearly 8 quid out of my account in January either.
Its worse than going in a shop with an over zealous assistant. Its more
like those vendors who bother you on holiday trying to sell you leather
goods while you are trying to eat your dinner, except that in this case
unless you can find the right button on a screen several times you get
charged even though you never asked for it.
I thought this was illegal?

Obviously something has thrown a wobbly their end, so folks keep an eye on
this as it might have happened to others as well. I'm quite happy with
Amazons service as normal I don't need to pay them 8 quid a month for
nothing I'm ever going to need. I don't want their video I don't want their
music on demand I don't need super delivery or all the fresh veg in the
world thank you very much, All I want is to be left alone to enjoy shopping
and getting stuff and using my echo dot.

I could understand it if I'd actually ordered something recently but I have
not.

Old December 9th 17, 08:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes but since the last thing I bought was last month, the start date for
prime of 8th Dec is ridiculous.

Also yes, Audible are quite good and now you can get Kindle apps for even
the pc then there is no problem if your audio on your Kindle is bust or non
existent. Also some books bought in print are no allowed to self voice by
Kindle due to rights issues and so the only game in town for audio is
Audible or some other commercial version.
To me I'd rather have real people reading it, but I just do not get the
books that you end up with that we blind cannot hear as its disabled but no
audio version has been made of course you can return them for a refund but
that is missing the point. Some publishers need to realise that blind
peoples money is just as good as everyone elses and no way is an auto voiced
copy going to stop sales of a good audio version but it can spell the
difference between we being able to buy a book or not at all.
Rant over.
These days I don't seem to have time to read audio books!

"Martin" wrote in message
They also own a company Audible that provides audio versions of Kindle
books.
The fact that Kindles don;t all have sound doesn;t stop them. I downloaded
Kindle app to my PC to read a book I had bought. Touch the audio symbol an
you
find yourself the owner of an audio version of the book.

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 17:02:26 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

[...]

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old December 9th 17, 09:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

But an awful lot of stuff has free delivery without prime, so where is the
saving. They don't tell you that part do they, however i know it to be true
from last month when I bought some headphones. Wonderfully cheap and get
this, they actually have a standard quarter inch jack socket so when the
cable fails just plug in a new one.

"Phi" wrote in message
news
I am using my offer to get free deliveries until I cancel just before
Christmas.

news

Old December 9th 17, 10:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 09/12/2017 10:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
But an awful lot of stuff has free delivery without prime, so where is the
saving. They don't tell you that part do they, however i know it to be true
from last month when I bought some headphones. Wonderfully cheap and get
this, they actually have a standard quarter inch jack socket so when the
cable fails just plug in a new one.

Was that a Marketplace purchase? They're not covered by Prime as they
are sent from the supplier direct. Also you get free postage if you
spend more than £20 on an order, if you can work out how to get it - I
posted about the difficulty in another thread.

--
Max Demian
Old December 9th 17, 12:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 23:18:28 +0100, Martin wrote:

They also own a company Audible that provides audio versions of Kindle books.

They actually just sell audio versions of books. The 'kindle' bit is not
especially relevant to that but they do offers where if you buy one
version, ebook or audiobook, you can get the other version cheap or if
you are very lucky, for free.

The fact that Kindles don;t all have sound doesn;t stop them.

Out of interest my old Kindle ebook reader had audio but my newer
Paperwhite does not.

I downloaded a
Kindle app to my PC to read a book I had bought. Touch the audio symbol an you
find yourself the owner of an audio version of the book.

You presumably had to confirm your purchase though as audiobooks, unless
they are on offer or you have an Audible subscription, are extremely
expensive - 20 or 30?
Old December 9th 17, 12:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 11:03:18 +0100, Martin wrote:

My gripe was I got a paid for audio version of a book that I didn't want from a
company I had never heard of, because without consulting me Amazon had given the
company my private information including my user name password.

Audible and Amazon are the same company so you log in using the same
username and password to both sites, and in any case you can buy Audible
books directly through the Amazon branded site without ever logging in
to the Audible one.

Meanwhile, it is worth checking/clearing your "one-click" options on the
Amazon site to make sure that whatever you buy from them always has to
go via the checkout.

I once ended up with a video I did not want because the default was a
"one-click" purchase and I contacted them and they gave me a refund so
that is worth bearing in mind another time.
Old December 9th 17, 01:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 15:22:51 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 13:44:25 -0000, Yellow wrote:

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 23:18:28 +0100, Martin wrote:

They also own a company Audible that provides audio versions of Kindle books.

They actually just sell audio versions of books. The 'kindle' bit is not
especially relevant to that but they do offers where if you buy one
version, ebook or audiobook, you can get the other version cheap or if
you are very lucky, for free.

The fact that Kindles don;t all have sound doesn;t stop them.

Out of interest my old Kindle ebook reader had audio but my newer
Paperwhite does not.

Me too. That's why I said "don't all" :-)

I downloaded a
Kindle app to my PC to read a book I had bought. Touch the audio symbol an you
find yourself the owner of an audio version of the book.

You presumably had to confirm your purchase though as audiobooks, unless
they are on offer or you have an Audible subscription, are extremely
expensive - 20 or 30?

I did not. In this case the book was a bit over 5.

All I can say is "weird" as I even with my Audible subscription I still
go via the basket when I make a purchase, whether it is with cash or I
am using one of my Audible credits.

Too late now to ask for a refund? I am sure you would have got one.

But the most important thing is to check your "one-click" options to
make sure it does not happen again and to make sure you are not open to
this happening with any other types of purchases.
Old December 9th 17, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 16:00:26 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 14:51:23 -0000, Yellow wrote:

On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 15:22:51 +0100, Martin wrote:

I did not. In this case the book was a bit over 5.

All I can say is "weird" as I even with my Audible subscription I still
go via the basket when I make a purchase, whether it is with cash or I
am using one of my Audible credits.

Too late now to ask for a refund? I am sure you would have got one.

I couldn't find a way of asking.

I seem to recall I had to use the help pages to find the "contact us"
section on the Amazon site as there was no obvious link on the home page
and then just sent them a message through a web page.

I have contacted Amazon for other issues and they also have a free ring
back service if you want to talk to a human - so that is worth knowing.

Audible though have live messaging where you can type-talk to someone
directly in real time. Had a couple of issues over the years and they
are extremely helpful and attentive but Amazon do not seem to extend
this facility to the Amazon site for whatever reason.

I decided it wasn't worth continuing. I was
worried that I had been a made a member, but I hadn't. Membership incurred a
monthly charge.

Yep - I have a yearly membership as I am a bit of an audiobook addict
and that way it is significantly cheaper.

But the most important thing is to check your "one-click" options to
make sure it does not happen again and to make sure you are not open to
this happening with any other types of purchases.

I already do that :-)

They are buggers though, defaulting anything to "one-click" - as I
complained bitterly when I accidentally bought that video.
Old December 9th 17, 07:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

Audible are quite good [...] I'd rather have real people reading it

Are you saying audible is a robot reading an ebook? I assumed it was a
human ...