Samsung Smart TVs and Android

Old December 16th 17, 02:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

Default Samsung Smart TVs and Android

We have a UE22H5600AK Samsung TV.

It is "smart" and has the multi-colour logo button on the remote control.

Now you are supposed to be able to do all sorts of clever things like
playing videos from your phone or tablet, and I am trying to do this but
it isn't working very well.

The Samsung app on the tablet can work as a remote control.

The TV can stream video (but not many types) from a Windows PC.

I can't so far push the same video from my tablet to the TV.

All in all, not much use so far.

Has anyone got stuff working with a similar Samsung TV?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old December 16th 17, 02:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

David wrote:

Has anyone got stuff working with a similar Samsung TV?

When my UE22F5400 is on I can "cast" to it over wifi using the .)] icon
from youtube on my android tablet (I can also cast to the chromecast
that's plugged into HDMI on the same TV, but that's not relevant).

Old December 16th 17, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 16 December 2017 15:15:47 UTC, David wrote:
We have a UE22H5600AK Samsung TV.

It is "smart" and has the multi-colour logo button on the remote control.

Now you are supposed to be able to do all sorts of clever things like
playing videos from your phone or tablet, and I am trying to do this but
it isn't working very well.

The Samsung app on the tablet can work as a remote control.

The TV can stream video (but not many types) from a Windows PC.

I can't so far push the same video from my tablet to the TV.

All in all, not much use so far.

Has anyone got stuff working with a similar Samsung TV?

Cheers

Dave R

Yes. Just got an S7. The only TV we have that does it is a 22" UE22H5610 one in the kitchen. It is so far through so many walls from the router that it creeps along at about 100kbps on its own feeble browser. Cue the S7 - select "quick connect" and with no trouble at all it throws full HD (Pink Floyd Pulse) onto the TV seemingly without loss (the phone's Wi-Fi must be good). Not even sure of the mechanism, but I presume that means two Wi-Fi channels running at several Mbps.

Repeated the trick on a swish recent 49" Samsung TV at a mate's house on Wednesday.

Pretty impressed :-)
Old December 16th 17, 04:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Not even sure of the mechanism, but I presume that means two Wi-Fi
channels running at several Mbps.

Depends where the media is stored, for YouTube content the phone doesn't
grab it from the internet and then sling it at the telly, the phone just
tells the telly which video to fetch and play for itself.

It might be different e.g. for music stored on the phone.
Old December 16th 17, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

And they talk as well, what more could you want?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old December 17th 17, 11:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 16 December 2017 17:50:07 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Not even sure of the mechanism, but I presume that means two Wi-Fi
channels running at several Mbps.

Depends where the media is stored, for YouTube content the phone doesn't
grab it from the internet and then sling it at the telly, the phone just
tells the telly which video to fetch and play for itself.

No it can't be that because of the very limited Wi-Fi bandwidth from router to TV and also the same video appears on the phone - i.e. the phone is receiving the stream anyway.

I will do a bit of Googling, but it looks like it is peer to peer Wi-Fi aka Miracast.

It might be different e.g. for music stored on the phone.

Old December 17th 17, 11:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

No it can't be that because of the very limited Wi-Fi bandwidth from router to TV and also the same video appears on the phone - i.e. the phone is receiving the stream anyway.

I will do a bit of Googling, but it looks like it is peer to peer Wi-Fi aka Miracast.

It might do it that way if you use a screen mirroring method, rather
than an app specific method of "casting" such as youtube, iplayer etc.

But I know for certain the youtube video isn't passing through my
tablet, because the tablet can be shutdown (e.g. fully off due to low
battery, not just asleep) during playback on the TV.

So I think there are two methods built-in to my Samsung, plus the
chromecast stuffed in a HDMI socket.
Old December 17th 17, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 15:15:44 +0000, David wrote:

We have a UE22H5600AK Samsung TV.

It is "smart" and has the multi-colour logo button on the remote
control.

Now you are supposed to be able to do all sorts of clever things like
playing videos from your phone or tablet, and I am trying to do this but
it isn't working very well.

The Samsung app on the tablet can work as a remote control.

The TV can stream video (but not many types) from a Windows PC.

I can't so far push the same video from my tablet to the TV.

All in all, not much use so far.

Has anyone got stuff working with a similar Samsung TV?

Thanks for all the answers so far.

What I would like to do is to play movies stored on my Android tablet on
the Samsung TV. The current format for most of them is MKV which can be
played by VLC on Windows and Android. It is alleged that the TV supports
this codec.

I haven't yet worked out the simple steps to achieve this.

I'm not looking to use Android to tell the TV to stream media over the
Internet as it can already do this and anyway it is used in the caravan so
network access and bandwidth is liable to be limited.

I already have music on the tablet and a set of BlueTooth speakers so
music is not an issue. I just want to be able to play DVDs and the like
without having to find somewhere to install a DVD player.

If someone can give me a few simple steps that would help. There seem to
be too many different ways of achieving the same thing at both ends of the
link (TV and Android) so I need to be able to match them up.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old December 17th 17, 03:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
sintv[_2_]

On Sunday, 17 December 2017 16:46:23 UTC, David wrote:
[...]

I have Plex on my Samsung and that works well for me.
Old December 17th 17, 09:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 17/12/2017 16:46, David wrote:
[...]

Try this:

Make sure that your tablet and the TV are connected to the same network.
Drag 2 fingers down the tablet screen to bring up the options menu -
Wifi, Bluetooth, Aer(o)plane mode, Location, etc. There should also be
an icon which says "Cast screen". Tap that.
If it says, "No devices found", tap "More Settings". Hopefully it will
then find your Samsung TV, and display its name. Tap that to connect.

Then, whatever is on the tablet screen should also be on the TV screen -
so just start your video, or whatever, playing on the tablet.

Let us know how you get on.

This works on my Google Nexus 10 tablet running Android 5, but I can't
make it work on my Moto G2 phone running Android 6 for some reason.

--
Cheers,
Roger