Problems with CP? or is it time for a new twig?

Old December 29th 17, 12:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected][_2_]

Default Problems with CP? or is it time for a new twig?

Hi All,

Have been having problems with the BT Youview box falling off the digital cliff (audio and video stuttering / breaking up / dropping out) for the past few weeks. Worse in stormy weather.

We are about 18 miles nearer the coast than CP (Horsham).

Is anyone else suffering similar? or is it time to call on the services of ye olde aerial rigger?

TIA

Chris
Old December 29th 17, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 29/12/2017 13:59, Mark Carver wrote:

Maybe it needs looking at. If it's a Group A you'll need a Wideband
after March 2018 anyway, COM 7 and 8 move that month from Ch33 and 35 to
55 and 56.

Thanks for that. Gives me an excuse come March to open something a bit
special to toast the log periodic I fitted in 2008[1] - against advice
to fit a Group A

[1] in London E5

--
Robin
Old December 29th 17, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Its quite funny actually as CP was always group A, but when I bought a new
aerial for digital everyone said broadband. We all thought they were quite
mad, but due to all the messing about it has actually been a good move. As
you know I recently had to change out the coax that got water in it, but the
actual aerial in the loft seems good still, as we are line of sight. It will
be very interesting to actually see how wide band it is when the time comes.

So close in the main issues seem to be multipath from nearby high rise
buildings in any case so I may need a log or something if it acts up again.

Old December 29th 17, 03:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
Its quite funny actually as CP was always group A, but when I bought a
new aerial for digital everyone said broadband. We all thought they were
quite mad, but due to all the messing about it has actually been a good
move. As you know I recently had to change out the coax that got water
in it, but the actual aerial in the loft seems good still, as we are
line of sight. It will be very interesting to actually see how wide band
it is when the time comes.

The losses through the roof will increase with frequency.

So close in the main issues seem to be multipath from nearby high rise
buildings in any case so I may need a log or something if it acts up
again. Brian

Logs have a fairly wide front acceptance angle, so are not good if the
multipath comes from just off the main beam. You're better off with a high
gain (narrow angle) yagi.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old December 29th 17, 03:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 29/12/2017 16:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its quite funny actually as CP was always group A, but when I bought a new
aerial for digital everyone said broadband. We all thought they were quite
mad, but due to all the messing about it has actually been a good move. As
you know I recently had to change out the coax that got water in it, but the
actual aerial in the loft seems good still, as we are line of sight. It will
be very interesting to actually see how wide band it is when the time comes.

Loft aerials tend to suffer more from attenuation due to tiles at the
higher frequencies.

Old December 30th 17, 05:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Holmes

Thanks All,

Lack of COM7 and 8 MAY not bother us (we rarely watch anything apart from BBC 1 or 2.
Old December 30th 17, 05:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Holmes

11::^*))