Does any hardware still allow playing of CD video?

Old December 30th 17, 11:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Does any hardware still allow playing of CD video?

I'm talking the cd sized discs you used to get that were gold in colour, but
had one big video track and a couple of normal audio tracks.
IE its not a DVD or a Philips laserdisc as such, though I'd imagine it was
using the same tech as Pioneerr combination players seemed to play them and
some computers of the Amiga type did as well but that might just have been
software.
On a pc it shows up as a two track CD only, no video.

Old December 30th 17, 11:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

On a pc it shows up as a two track CD only, no video.

VLC supposedly plays them.
Old December 30th 17, 11:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 30/12/2017 12:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm talking the cd sized discs you used to get that were gold in colour, but
had one big video track and a couple of normal audio tracks.

I have an old Panasonic DVD recorder/player (no hard drive), and
according to the spec it does play video from CDs. I have never tried
it though, so can't confirm or deny it.

Old December 30th 17, 12:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 30/12/17 12:24, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 30/12/2017 12:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm talking the cd sized discs you used to get that were gold in colour, but
had one big video track and a couple of normal audio tracks.

I have an old Panasonic DVD recorder/player (no hard drive), and
according to the spec it does play video from CDs. I have never tried
it though, so can't confirm or deny it.

Jim

Indeed. I just checked the manual of my DMR-E55EB. That plays video CDs,
apparently. but, like you, I've never tried it. I don't think I've ever
seen one.

In the Glossary, it notes:
"Playback control (PBC)
If a Video CD has playback control, you can select scenes and
information with menus.
(This unit is compatible with version 2.0 and 1.1.)"

In the "Troubleshooting Guide" it has, under "Play":
The Video CD picture does not display properly...

* When connecting to Multi-system TV, select “NTSC” in “TV System” in
the SETUP menu.
* When connecting to PAL TV, the lower part of the picture cannot be
displayed correctly
during search.

--

Jeff
Old December 30th 17, 03:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hmm, aye it does, not tried it. I was told by somebody that modern drives
firmwaare has no support for the format.

Old December 30th 17, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I can play the newere cd video stuff OK that is not the same format, its
some kind of jpeg, this I'm told is full bandwidth video like the old
Laservision but with digital embedded audio in it.

Old December 30th 17, 05:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message news
[...]

I was given a Panasonic DMR-E55EB to see if I could fix it, the owner died
and his wife didn't want it back. There's a PSU fault, there's a repair kit
available but I can't see any use for this thing?
Kenny

Old December 30th 17, 06:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Hmm, all the pcs here say is that it is a standard CD with two tracks and it
cannot find it in cddb online.
The huge lump of video is not seen. If you throw it into a Pioneer
laserdisc machine a friend has it players the video of the A side of the
single. The only reason I have it is that they reissued it with the video of
the other track instead as it was the one the DJs all played at the time,
somewhere in the 80s. Its by Heart.
The actual song that ended up the A side has a very bad edit in it, as the
album version had another verse that made the song make a little more sense
than it does otherwise.
Why is it in a gold colour. Some cd players refuse to play it.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
news

Old December 30th 17, 08:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 30/12/17 18:14, Kenny wrote:
I was given a Panasonic DMR-E55EB to see if I could fix it, the owner died
and his wife didn't want it back. There's a PSU fault, there's a repair kit
available but I can't see any use for this thing?
Kenny

Yep. Had to fix the PSU of mine. I can't remember the details but I
think it was a voltage regulator (STRG6353?) which went south, resulting
in a continuous self check. It overheated due to penny-pinching by
Panasonic, as they fitted an inadequate heatsink. When I replaced the
chip, I put a much large heatsink on it. See comment he
http://www.fixya.com/support/t15584352-panasonic_dmr_e55eb_s

It's been working ok for the past ten years or so since I repaired it.
No use for recording OTA of course, but fine for playing DVDs or CDs. No
doubt I could use it for copying VHS tapes to DVD if I had a need.

--

Jeff
Old December 31st 17, 12:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 30/12/17 12:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
On a pc it shows up as a two track CD only, no video.

If the drive can rip audio, I imagine it can play VCDs. As I remember
it, the video is recorded with only the single layer of error correction
used for audio.

Given that it can read the data on the video track, I image than it is
purely up to the application software as to whether that can interpret
the result as a VCD.