The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

Old March 8th 18, 04:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

I'm standing at the door talking to somebody on a block of flats in a
council estate, they are all called something house wotsit court etc all
with names of ex council leaders or smart ass developers.
Along comes this guy with a pizza and asks with a slight accident.
Is this Basketball court.
I look at him, well in his direction and say, now does it look like one,
its a block of flats.
He then says, but I've been to criditon Court and alderman ping court, but
I cannot find one named basketball.

I feel its only right to say at this point that there is indeed a basketball
court for children just round the corner over his right shoulder.
I could not help laughing really. I said it actually is a basketball court,
not a building named basketball, its over there.
He muttered something under his breath and went.
Britain must be very confusing, or is it just the bloke was extremely
thick. I knew there was somebody in the court as I could hear the ball being
bounced.

So have pity on the poor delivery bloke, he may well be one of those people
mentioned in Jethro Tulls song, Thick as a brick.
Brian

Note building names have been changed to protect the anonymity of the person
I was talking to who could not speak for trying to suppress his laughter.

Old March 8th 18, 06:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 08/03/2018 17:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm standing at the door talking to somebody on a block of flats in a
council estate, they are all called something house wotsit court etc all
with names of ex council leaders or smart ass developers.
Along comes this guy with a pizza and asks with a slight accident.
Is this Basketball court.
I look at him, well in his direction and say, now does it look like one,
its a block of flats.
He then says, but I've been to criditon Court and alderman ping court, but
I cannot find one named basketball.

I feel its only right to say at this point that there is indeed a basketball
court for children just round the corner over his right shoulder.
I could not help laughing really. I said it actually is a basketball court,
not a building named basketball, its over there.

If they have buildings called something court it's a perfectly
reasonable error to make, regardless of accent. Can you order a pizza
for third park bench from the left?

--
Max Demian
Old March 8th 18, 06:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I'm standing at the door talking to somebody on a block of flats in a
council estate, they are all called something house wotsit court etc all
with names of ex council leaders or smart ass developers.
Along comes this guy with a pizza and asks with a slight accident.
Is this Basketball court.
I look at him, well in his direction and say, now does it look like one,
its a block of flats.

I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos they
have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation of the street
numbers.

tim

Old March 8th 18, 10:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 08/03/2018 19:41, tim... wrote:

I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos they
have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation of the street
numbers.

tim

Provided the numbers are in a logical place in the sequence of road
address numbering. that shouldn't be a problem. When I was a teenager
with a paper round I had a block like that on my round, and I had no
trouble delivering papers to the three flats that had ordered them.

There are more confusing addresses around. Near where I am living now,
there is a road where the houses on one side have a different street
name to the houses on the other side. Depending on which map you buy,
the road between the two has one name printed or the other. Novice
postmen must be eternally grateful for modern postcodes!

Old March 8th 18, 10:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 08/03/2018 19:41, tim... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news

I'm standing at the door talking to somebody on a block of flats in a
council estate, they are all called something house wotsit court etc
all with names of ex council leaders or smart ass developers.
Along comes this guy with a pizza and asks with a slight accident.
Is this* Basketball court.
I look at him, well in his direction and say, now does it look like
one, its a block of flats.

I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos
they have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation of
the street numbers.

That works fine for a new build road or the end of a cul-de-sac. Better
than a flat number in a named block as there can be confusion if two
blocks are in the same postcode. Also people don't know whether you live
in a teeny flat or a great mansion from the address.

--
Max Demian
Old March 9th 18, 12:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:41:32 -0000
"tim..." wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I'm standing at the door talking to somebody on a block of flats in
a council estate, they are all called something house wotsit court
etc all with names of ex council leaders or smart ass developers.
Along comes this guy with a pizza and asks with a slight accident.
Is this Basketball court.
I look at him, well in his direction and say, now does it look like
one, its a block of flats.

I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos
they have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation of
the street numbers.

tim

My house is called Something House, at the end of Something Lane. We
often get drivers trying to deliver items for one of the neighbours in
the same road, but they apparently cannot see the name of our house,
which is in raised letters, in a colour that contrasts with the
background, and whose letters are about 8 inches tall, and right next
to the door. Despite all that, they are amazed when we hand the item
back to them, pointing out the house name with a short movement of the
hand.

--
Davey.
Old March 9th 18, 07:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 08/03/2018 19:41, tim... wrote:

[...]

I believe that can happen when the borough (even county) boundary goes
along the middle of the road so different thought processes have been
applied when the houses were built.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 9th 18, 09:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Indy Jess John wrote:
On 08/03/2018 19:41, tim... wrote:

I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos they
have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation of the street
numbers.

tim

Provided the numbers are in a logical place in the sequence of road
address numbering. that shouldn't be a problem. When I was a teenager
with a paper round I had a block like that on my round, and I had no
trouble delivering papers to the three flats that had ordered them.

There are more confusing addresses around. Near where I am living now,
there is a road where the houses on one side have a different street
name to the houses on the other side. Depending on which map you buy,
the road between the two has one name printed or the other. Novice
postmen must be eternally grateful for modern postcodes!

Our village in Suffolk confuses anyone who doesn't know it. It's
mostly land settlement houses built in the 1920s and 1930s, these have
sequential numbers which run right round all the roads in the village.
I.e. numbers 1 to 10 (say) are on Ipswich Road and numbers 30 to 46 are
on our road with others on other roads. Just to add to the fun
the houses are not always in numeric order along the roads.

--
Chris Green
·