from another group

Old March 22nd 18, 12:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default from another group

30 valves, 400watts, took two men to carry, then they had to spend half
an afternoon setting up the convergence. But it was affected by the
earth's magnetic field so if the customer moved the set at all it all
had to be done again.
I'm so glad I lived long enough to escape from all that 1960s ****e.
Bloody cassette recorders and 33rpm LPs (one scratch and it's ****ed),
and AM radio and white bread that made a ball in your mouth and made you
puke it out, and margarine was was like spreading a mixture of lard and
engine oil on your ****ing white Mother's Pride bread, and Camp
'Coffee' made from bloody acorns or something, and tinned condensed
milk, and tyres that didn't last 5,000 miles, and vans that stopped if
it rained, with no screenwashers or power steering or seat belts or
effective heater, and a dynamo that produced 22A max so in winter you
had to connect a battery charger overnight and...

Old March 22nd 18, 12:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/03/2018 01:33, Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Bill

Have you been on the Ribena
Never touch the stuff
Ice on the inside of the bedroom window, biking three miles to school
through snowdrifts six feet high then getting thrashed for having wet
clothes, going to the doctors and having to sit in a waiting room on a
hard bench feeling giddy because of the fag smoke, then being told your
rickets were growing pains

Old March 22nd 18, 07:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 22/03/18 01:44, Bill Wright wrote:

snip

Bill

(Continued page 94...)

--

Jeff
Old March 22nd 18, 07:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Oh dear I wonder what they think were the good times then.
It was not the convergence but the purity that was affected by magnetic
fields and it was usually not the earth that was to blame it was a speaker
or somewhere a lump of iron.
They did not mention windscreen wipers that operated from the vacuum of the
engine pistons though did they, or trafficators that were mechanical arms
with bulbs in to indicate which way you were turning that used to shoot off
when the screw got loose, or the Mini that was so close to the ground that
you often hit the road or their hydrolastic suspension that was always
losing pressure and thumping you down with no springs.
Then there was of course dripping in the fridge which gran kept for years
and spread it on bread.
How many people grease their hair now and need an antimacaser on the sofa
to stop it staining where the head rests and those sausage shaped things we
had to put under doors to stop the draughts in winter etc.
Those were the good old days them were.

news

Old March 22nd 18, 08:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes well, I was brought up on condensed milk. some say it helped win the
war.

We had icicles on the ceiling in this house never mind the windows. The
eaves were so close to the corner of the room. Now we have all this lagging,
draft proofing and double glazing, no open fires with draftee chimneys, no
pea souper fogs that left the scarf you breathed through yellow as nobody
now has inefficient fires running on poor quality coal.

No spontaneously combusting Cortina mark 1 and 2s or Escorts with holes in
the floor covered by a piece of hardboard.

news

Old March 22nd 18, 08:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Brian Gaff wrote:
when the screw got loose, or the Mini that was so close to the ground that
you often hit the road or their hydrolastic suspension that was always
losing pressure and thumping you down with no springs.

New fangled things, proper mini suspension used rubber cones. :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Old March 22nd 18, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
[...]

Televisions and radios that took ages to "warm up". (Mind you, today's smart
TVs take as long as a valve TV used to do, because they have to boot up.)

Rust on car bodies (the last car I had with rust was a 1980 Renault 5. My
last two cars have got to 10 years old with no sign of rust.)

Cars with chokes: if you push the choke in a bit too soon, the engine loses
power or stalls altogether as soon as you try to pull out of a junction,
even though it's been running fine until then,)

Stupid seat belts in 2-door cars where the belt is about 10 miles long and
is anchored somewhere beside the rear seat instead of being anchored at
shoulder height on the B pillar. My grandpa's Hillman Avenger was like that
and my grandma would always get her feet caught up in it when she got in the
back to let me sit in the front: she insisted that even when I was little,
"a man's place is in the front".

Mechanical pump-action windscreen washer controls (no electric pump)

Milk delivered in glass bottles: if the milkman dropped one, you knew it was
going to be a long job sweeping all the little bits up before dad got home
and the glass punctured his tyres.

Warm, semi-sour milk in 1/3 pint bottles at school - my infant school (last
60s) served it in the *afternoon* playtime, after it had had all day at room
temperature to go off. I remember a mate of mine who said to the teacher
"why don't do just pour it down the loo" - since that's where it will go
anyway since most people puked straight afterwards.

Old March 22nd 18, 10:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 22/03/2018 in message
NY wrote:

Cars with chokes: if you push the choke in a bit too soon, the engine
loses power or stalls altogether

Used by many lady drivers as a useful hook to hang their bags on :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility
Old March 22nd 18, 10:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 22/03/2018 01:44, Bill Wright wrote:

Ice on the inside of the bedroom window,

Pretty fern patterns left by Jack Frost. Warming an old penny in your
hands and pressing it to the frosty pane to make a spy hole.

biking three miles to school
through snowdrifts six feet high then getting thrashed for having wet
clothes,

I quite liked walking the half mile to school from the age of four and a
half; my mother used to see me across the main road outside our house.
There was a water splash on the way; fortunately a pedestrian bridge as
well.

going to the doctors and having to sit in a waiting room on a
hard bench feeling giddy because of the fag smoke, then being told your
rickets were growing pains

NHS doctors making home visits as a matter of routine. I don't think I
ever saw the inside of a surgery - not that I was often sick as a child.

--
Max Demian
Old March 22nd 18, 10:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

They were the later ones that used rubber I think you will find the early
ones all had the fluid system similar to those raising and lowering French
jobbies with dodgy wiring looms.

"Chris Green" wrote in message
news