The BBC have (22 hours ago) screwed GIP's search functions yetagain!

Old March 22nd 18, 10:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default The BBC have (22 hours ago) screwed GIP's search functions yetagain!

Pretty well as per the subject:

I can still download by pid but it's now quite obvious that the Beeb has
done something that neutralises the last GIP work around to previous
similar show stopping changes. This change appears to have happened
around about 2am today (Thursday the 22nd of March 2018 for the record).

I'd noticed the problem earlier this afternoon trying to fetch a couple
of programmes that Kaffeine had recorded 5 minute snippets of as reminder/
placeholders. I used the usual pid work around whenever such random
refusals occur and settled on a "Wait and see" approach to see whether it
was just another temporary glitch or a deliberate change in the workings
of the Beeb's iPlayer franchise.

It's only now (I'd had an afternoon dental appointment for a filling
which kept my mind off the business of iPlayer downloads), about 22:15
that I was reminded that there was trouble in paradise between the Beeb
and GIP. I'm posting this information to get it on the record and to
verify that I'm not alone in this and also to see whether there are any
better quick 'n' dirty work around solutions than using the --pid fall
back option that I can try.

I dare say an update to GiP will eventually appear "As If By Magic" in a
day or two's time since the --pid command still functions as before for
programmes aired after 2am today. In this business, 23 hours (now), is a
more than ample period of mourning for the 'death of a GiP work around'
so the sooner we start discussing the next one, the better it is for
everyone concerned.

--
Johnny B Good
Old March 23rd 18, 06:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Andy Burns[_12_]

Johnny B Good wrote:

I can still download by pid but it's now quite obvious that the Beeb has
done something that neutralises the last GIP work around to previous
similar show stopping changes. This change appears to have happened
around about 2am today (Thursday the 22nd of March 2018 for the record).

I didn't notice anything affecting kodi's iplayer add-on yesterday ...

Old March 23rd 18, 07:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux

The other day as you will know, they mangled the feeds to radio stations for
some software, and only noticed when one of the authors rang them and told
them. I do often wonder if all this is just the fact that they have no idea
what they are doing nor do they ever check anything but a rudimentary local
test.

Old March 23rd 18, 08:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

https://forums.squarepenguin.co.uk/thread-1707.html

JIm

Old March 23rd 18, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux

Incidentally, that other site in the footer says click on a smiley, no
graphic labelled that...

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
https://forums.squarepenguin.co.uk/thread-1707.html

JIm

Electronics
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa...o/electron.htm

Old March 23rd 18, 09:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux

That get iplayer site has no headers to navigate by it seems.

Old March 23rd 18, 01:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 09:24:41 +0000, Jim Lesurf wrote:

https://forums.squarepenguin.co.uk/thread-1707.html

Thanks Jim,

The very same symptoms and I was already using the suggested work around
until the next fix is made available. :-)

See my other post for a little more detail - I discovered more
'networking issues' just after making that post.

--
Johnny B Good
Old March 23rd 18, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 23:14:13 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

Pretty well as per the subject:

Following up on the above, I discovered an issue with retrieving news
headers (Pan) about an hour after sending the OP. Usenet was effectively
dead to me. I assumed either a DNS issue or a problem with VM's news
server. However, Linux Mint's software updater was also having problems
so I decided to check the SH2 modem/router status which looked good
before I decided to reboot it which made no difference to the issue I
was seeing. Even power cycling the Netgear 8 port GBe switch (which can
sometimes create some oddball networking issues from time to time) made
no change.

As far as I could see, everything at my end was working ok (I'd already
successfully pinged google's DNS server at 8.8.8.8) so it looked like
there was something gone wrong with my ISP (VM) in the wee small hours of
this morning. Having seen the replies here, I've just checked GiP again
and I still see the same symptoms reported in the squarepenguin forum.
I'll just have to grit my teeth (like everyone else) and work around the
problem until an update to the PPA is picked up by Linux Mint's software
updater.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, BTW. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old March 24th 18, 08:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:
I'll just have to grit my teeth (like everyone else) and work around the
problem until an update to the PPA is picked up by Linux Mint's
software updater.

If the problem has been fixed upstream can you not simply fetch the gip
code from there and use that? I run xfce mint and do that when I want the
latest version. I've not needed to use the mint repos, so don't have to
wait for them to update.

BTW Not quite "everyone". I've always used the method of listing the pids
and fetching via pid. This seems to work regardless of the BBC altering the
negotiations needed to 'scrape' the info from their pages in an automated
manner. I just use mark 1 eyeball to look at the shedules pages and use the
entries as shown by my browser to type in the pids I want.

Old March 24th 18, 10:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Richard Kettlewell[_2_]

Johnny B Good writes:
Following up on the above, I discovered an issue with retrieving news
headers (Pan) about an hour after sending the OP. Usenet was effectively
dead to me. I assumed either a DNS issue or a problem with VM's news
server. However, Linux Mint's software updater was also having problems
so I decided to check the SH2 modem/router status which looked good
before I decided to reboot it which made no difference to the issue I
was seeing. Even power cycling the Netgear 8 port GBe switch (which can
sometimes create some oddball networking issues from time to time) made
no change.

As far as I could see, everything at my end was working ok (I'd already
successfully pinged google's DNS server at 8.8.8.8) so it looked like
there was something gone wrong with my ISP (VM) in the wee small hours of
this morning.

VM had an outage last night, only fully resolved this morning.

https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/junk/20180324.png

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/