satellite navigation

Old April 5th 18, 08:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default satellite navigation

Until July I ran a 15 year old S-Type Jaguar. It's satnav was considerably
out of date. When I checked with Jaguar they wanted £150 for a new disc.

A couple of years later I found a site that did one year old ones for £25.
That was fine and worked very well.

I had to sell the Jag (I kept bumping into things) and bought a narrower
car. A Kia Niro. It comes with Tom Tom installed. I was horrified.
I had experienced using it in Australia. You'd get 'turn right now' with no
pre-warning and when you were in the central lane of multi-lane highway.
Same here.

The Jag would give you 'Turn right sooon' and only later 'Turn right now'.

I always check the route on Google maps now before I go anywhere.

Old April 6th 18, 12:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/04/2018 21:12, Pinnerite wrote:

I had to sell the Jag (I kept bumping into things) and bought a narrower
car. A Kia Niro. It comes with Tom Tom installed. I was horrified.
I had experienced using it in Australia. You'd get 'turn right now' with no
pre-warning and when you were in the central lane of multi-lane highway.
Same here.

That's very odd. Both my Tom Toms warn at 2/3 mile and 1/3 mile.

Old April 6th 18, 08:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 06/04/2018 in message Bill Wright wrote:

On 05/04/2018 21:12, Pinnerite wrote:

I had to sell the Jag (I kept bumping into things) and bought a narrower
car. A Kia Niro. It comes with Tom Tom installed. I was horrified.
I had experienced using it in Australia. You'd get 'turn right now' with
no
pre-warning and when you were in the central lane of multi-lane highway.
Same here.

That's very odd. Both my Tom Toms warn at 2/3 mile and 1/3 mile.

My stand alone TomTom did that as well, it was excellent and didn't get me
lost ever. I had a car with a built in TomTom though and it persisted in
calling a roundabout in Salisbury a "junction" - and it showed on the
TomTom map as a junction. It had been a roundabout for at least 12 years
at the time. I think the built in ones have very old maps and software
and. even if you can afford the horrendous update costs you still don't
get what a sub £100 TomTom would give you.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Old April 6th 18, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

wrote:

[...]

When I was a member of a TomTom forum, there were lots of complaints
about failure of TomTom devices to accept, or even seek, updates that
had been part of the purchase promises. There were so many complaints
about TomTom's lack of customer service that it took the forum down,
citing 'lack of interest'!

--
Davey.

Old April 6th 18, 11:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 06/04/2018 in message Davey wrote:

When I was a member of a TomTom forum, there were lots of complaints
about failure of TomTom devices to accept, or even seek, updates that
had been part of the purchase promises. There were so many complaints
about TomTom's lack of customer service that it took the forum down,
citing 'lack of interest'!

If there was a problem it seems to be fixed now. My TomTom gets regular
map updates along with other updates (no idea what they are) which were
included in the purchase price.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
Old April 6th 18, 11:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

wrote:

When I was a member of a TomTom forum, there were lots of complaints
about failure of TomTom devices to accept, or even seek, updates that
had been part of the purchase promises. There were so many complaints
about TomTom's lack of customer service that it took the forum down,
citing 'lack of interest'!

If there was a problem it seems to be fixed now. My TomTom gets
regular map updates along with other updates (no idea what they are)
which were included in the purchase price.

There was clearly a whole range of successes depending on which model
people had, so you may be one of the lucky ones. Hopefully, they are
all that good now.
I have never, and will never, own a TomTom.

--
Davey.
Old April 6th 18, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Youlden[_6_]

On 05/04/2018 21:12, Pinnerite wrote:

I had to sell the Jag (I kept bumping into things) and bought a narrower
car. A Kia Niro. It comes with Tom Tom installed. I was horrified.
I had experienced using it in Australia. You'd get 'turn right now' with no
pre-warning and when you were in the central lane of multi-lane highway.
Same here.

The Jag would give you 'Turn right sooon' and only later 'Turn right now'.

I always check the route on Google maps now before I go anywhere.

A few years ago down near here in Wool, Dorset, there was a flash and
bang at the station, followed by a plume of smoke that could be seen for
miles around.

A car had turned left on the level crossing and driven up the track into
the station until it met the third rail. Fortunately the couple in the
car escaped injury.

It was thought that the driver, an older man, followed instructions on
his sat-nav as immediately after the crossing is a left turn into the
village.

--

Chris
Old April 6th 18, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Chris Youlden" wrote in message
[...]

It is hard to imagine how anyone can generally drive safely (ie they not so
blind or stupid that they collide at every junction), and yet once in a blue
moon they manage to drive along a railway line at a level crossing or turn
the wrong way on a motorway, or confuse the accelerator and footbrake when
manoeuvring in a supermarket car park, catapulting their car into a shop
window... or another person/car.

There have been occasions when I've been *about* to turn into a one-way
street or up someone's drive instead of a road - often because of confusing
signs that I've mis-read. But the difference is that I stop myself *before*
I actually do turn along something which is clearly not a road, even if I've
indicated and slowed down in advance. It is the "continue blindly even when
it's wrong" that sorts the safe from the unsafe drivers.

I would say that anyone who *continues* to drive the wrong way on a motorway
and doesn't immediately recognise that fact and pull over to sort themselves
out, is someone who should never drive again. Anyone can make a mistake; not
realising that it is a mistake is the sin.

Old April 12th 18, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

On 06/04/2018 12:54, Davey wrote:
I have never, and will never, own a TomTom.

I have owned two TomToms - first was good but could only use a 2GB SD card, so eventually map updates became too large to fit. My second TomTom didn't have that limitation but was worse in almost all other respects. This message would be awfully long if I detailed them all. So I certainly won't consider buying another one.

--
Clive Page