iPlayer downloads now only being offered in sd1?

Old April 15th 18, 03:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default iPlayer downloads now only being offered in sd1?

Not one of my Saturday night's selection of downloads included any hd1
(1280 by 720) offerings. Every single last one being sd1 (960 by 540).
Some were expected to be sd1 such as "Dad's Army" and "Insect Worlds"
whilst recently made programmes that would typically be available in hd1
format such as "Gettys: The World's Richest Art Dynasty" (copyright 2018)
were also restricted to sd1 as were repeats that I'd downloaded
previously in hd1 format such as the "From Andy Pandy to Zebedee: The
Golden Age of Children's Television" documentary.

It looks for all the world as though the iPlayer concession has suddenly
introduced a policy of "No hd1 downloads allowed". I have seen a similar
short changing effect on an irregular and random basis in the past but
repeat requests hours to a day or two later have usually resolved this
issue (but not always, sad to say).

What makes this event out of the ordinary is the fact that all seven
programmes downloaded by get_iplayer were so afflicted by this
restriction. Out of curiosity, I forced a repeat download of the
documentary programme "Living with the Brainy Bunch" which I'd first
downloaded on the 12th in hd1 format. The repeat download was in hd1
format as before, so if there has been a policy change then this result
would seem to be "The exception that proves the rule". More likely though
is that they haven't gotten round to pulling the hd1 version off the
media streamer's file server.

Worryingly, this reduction of download quality seems to have been
building up during the past few weeks where repeat attempts many days
later have still resulted in an sd1 download (aborted by me as soon as I
could see that I was still being fobbed off with a sub standard
definition version).

The most notable recent example of "hd1 failure" being the first "Have I
Got A Bit More News For You" episode of series 55 since the earlier
series downloads during the previous two years or so have all been hd1
downloads. This is the first time since I started downloading this
programme using get_iplayer that I have seen it restricted to sd1 quality.

I take it that I'm not the only one seeing this change for the worse in
regard of iPlayer downloads, just the first to raise the issue in this
news group. Does anyone have any more information about this situation or
any helpful comments to offer?

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 15th 18, 07:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

But apart from easing the stresses on their servers, what possible point
would there be to this really?
It would seem a retrograde step.
Its more likely the usual cock up that bbc makes when new brooms take over
and nobody watches the output properly.
Its a symptom of our modern world, nobody cares at all, just keep taking
the money till the contract is taken away boys.

Old April 15th 18, 08:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:
Not one of my Saturday night's selection of downloads included any hd1
(1280 by 720) offerings. Every single last one being sd1 (960 by 540).

I'm not sure, but are you mainly using hls?

My experience thus far is that the 1280x720 25fps versions seem to be
ceasing, but the 50fps versions have been available.[1] I've been using hls
for fetching but I'm not sure if some other transfer method will still get
the 25fps version. Been meaning to ask on the gip list and look at the
table of modes, etc.

The 50fps versions do have 'better' sound, but mean much bigger files.

Jim

[1] e.g. the "Young Musician of the Year" progs seem available as the
larger files - which is sensible in these cases to get the best sound.

Old April 15th 18, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

I don't see how it is a cock-up if the BBC change iPlayer in a way which
(probably accidentally) stops people doing something iPlayer was never
intended to do. I can still watch iPlayer in 1280x720p so it seems to
me it is working as it was meant to.

On 15/04/2018 08:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
But apart from easing the stresses on their servers, what possible point
would there be to this really?
It would seem a retrograde step.
Its more likely the usual cock up that bbc makes when new brooms take over
and nobody watches the output properly.
Its a symptom of our modern world, nobody cares at all, just keep taking
the money till the contract is taken away boys.

Robin
Old April 15th 18, 10:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On 15/04/2018 04:30, Johnny B Good wrote:
Not one of my Saturday night's selection of downloads included any hd1
(1280 by 720) offerings. Every single last one being sd1 (960 by 540).
Some were expected to be sd1 such as "Dad's Army" and "Insect Worlds"
whilst recently made programmes that would typically be available in hd1
format such as "Gettys: The World's Richest Art Dynasty" (copyright 2018)
were also restricted to sd1 as were repeats that I'd downloaded
previously in hd1 format such as the "From Andy Pandy to Zebedee: The
Golden Age of Children's Television" documentary.

This has been an ongoing subject of discussion in the get-iplayer
mailing lists, particularly in a thread begun my myself entitled ...

Steve Backshall - Nature's Microworlds - 2 Serengeti.mp4, b01l4906

.... wherein my chief complaint is that Episode 1 is available in hlshd,
Ep 2 only in hvfhd, and Ep 3 and since only as hvfxsd! Not even
consistency across a series!

From that discussion, it seems that the only HD mode destined to
survive is hvfhd, and in fact I downloaded the Gettys program overnight
in that format, 2.7GB, 1280x720, 50fps, but haven't watched it yet.
Old April 15th 18, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
Not one of my Saturday night's selection of downloads included any hd1
(1280 by 720) offerings. Every single last one being sd1 (960 by 540).
Some were expected to be sd1 such as "Dad's Army"

Oh is DA available on iPlayer

the last time (during the current run) I missed an ep and looked for it on
iPlayer it was unavailable and I had to look for it on Youtube (as I did for
S4 E13 which the politically correct police decided is not longer suitable
for broadcast for family viewing.)

tim

Old April 15th 18, 10:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 15/04/2018 08:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
But apart from easing the stresses on their servers, what possible point
would there be to this really?
It would seem a retrograde step.

It's to punish you for (potentially) violating copyright. Like the way
the EU banned pearl light bulbs to punish us for using incandescents.

--
Max Demian
Old April 15th 18, 10:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Java Jive
wrote:

From that discussion, it seems that the only HD mode destined to
survive is hvfhd, and in fact I downloaded the Gettys program overnight
in that format, 2.7GB, 1280x720, 50fps, but haven't watched it yet.

I wonder if the BBC may want to deprecate hls and focus on mpeg-dash. Or
simply want to drop 25fps.

It has seemed curious that the 1280x720 25fps has only been available via
hls.

Old April 15th 18, 01:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Who says that it was not meant to allow hd downloads though,. For some time
high quality downloads of audio have been available, have they stopped as
well, or are you saying that the good spec was actually not intended to be
use, in which case it was shoddy practice to allow it in the first place.
of course you can watch hd in real time but since these seem to buffer even
on fast connections could it be that the bbc are in fact running out of
online bandwidth?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old April 15th 18, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Johnny B Good wrote:

Not one of my Saturday night's selection of downloads included any hd

I think this has been noted before if you use a 'regional' stream,
rather than using a 'nations' stream ...